Re: [Exim] Address rewriting vs. CNAME records?

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Matthew Byng-Maddick
Betreff: Re: [Exim] Address rewriting vs. CNAME records?
On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 05:56:21PM -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> [ On Friday, February 7, 2003 at 21:23:11 (+0000), Matthew Byng-Maddick wrote: ]
> > There is a PTR 70.200.201.193.in-addr.arpa. to colon.colondot.net. but
> > there are all sorts of other A records that have an RHS of
> > 193.201.200.70. Your claim about your MTA is therefore false. If the
> > paragraph above were true, that mail transaction in my original message
> > would have looked different.
> You don't seem to understand the very simple algorithms used to verify
> DNS forward and reverse naming consistency. Obviously no resolver can

Wrong. I'm disputing your claims (which you've now snipped) which is that
your MTA performs forward and reverse naming consistency over and above
that which I've demonstrated. I'm also disputing your claims that not
having multiple PTR records (while still having PTR records at all)
breaks things.

> prove categorically that it has found every A record with a given
> address, not even if it successfully does a zone transfer of every
> domain in the entire _public_ DNS. Think about how this acutally must
> work and then maybe you'll get a bit more of a clue.

Oh, I'm perfectly happy that I understand. I don't think you're reading
the sentences in my text that say "I believe that you are talking
rubbish, here is the explanation why I think this, here is the proof
that where you say your MTA will complain about this, it doesn't".

You are currently the one showing a complete lack of clue.

> FYI I think I've posted a description of the actual algorithms involved
> once or twice before, if not here then perhaps on the postfix-users
> list.

I don't read postfix-users. I don't use postfix. I also read enough other
things that I wouldn't have time. Perhaps you'd care to post a reference.

MBM