Re: [Exim] Address rewriting vs. CNAME records?

Author: Exim Users Mailing List
To: Matthew Byng-Maddick
CC: Exim Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Exim] Address rewriting vs. CNAME records?
[ On Friday, February 7, 2003 at 19:21:39 (+0000), Matthew Byng-Maddick wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [Exim] Address rewriting vs. CNAME records?
>
> On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 02:02:28PM -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> > No, he really _MUST_ "rush" on the PTR records. Their correctness and
> > COMPLETENESS is critical for interaction with other servers using TCP
> > Wrappers style DNS consistency checks. CRITICAL. His connections will
> > be denied by some servers if his forward and reverse DNS is not 100%
> > consistent and complete.
>
> This is nothing other than complete rubbish. FUD. No TCP Wrappers
> implementation I have ever seen assumes what you've said.

I'm sorry you feel that way -- obviously you've never read the code, at
least not with deep enough comprehension to understand what it does.

Perhaps you should try mis-configuring your DNS and then connect to my
mailer and try sending me e-mail, for example. My FTP server is a
little more lax, but it'll also reject clients with badly inconsistent
forward and reverse DNS. The only "unprotected" server I run is my HTTP
server -- and I really don't care what hostname any HTTP clients connect
from, only their IP address, and that they can't as easily spoof.

--
                                Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;            <g.a.woods@???>;           <woods@???>
Planix, Inc. <woods@???>; VE3TCP; Secrets of the Weird <woods@???>