Re: [Exim] failure to transfer data

Author: Phil Chambers
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] failure to transfer data
On Thu, 6 Feb 2003 11:31:45 +0000 (GMT) Philip Hazel <ph10@???> wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Feb 2003, Phil Chambers wrote:
>
> > The cdb file is used in my re-writing rules and several routers and was being
> > accessed using the uid of the user whose .forward file was involved. The
> > "permission denied" error was because the cdb file did not have world read access.
> >
> > What I don't understand is why there is never a problem for all the other users who
> > have .forward files?
>
> Maybe the addresses they generated didn't trigger the use of the
> rewriting rule that uses the cdb file?

The cdb file is used by the first router, amongst others and is applied to Env_To:
in the re-writing rules. It contains a list of all domains which I treat as local.
I presume that when routing for messages arriving by SMTP it is working as either
root or the Exim user. The cdb file was owned by the Exim user, so it would be OK.
When I did the "exim -M <msg-id> run it had clearly changed to the owner of the
.forward file at some point.

I have double-checked and I am sure that the .forward file containing the
non-deliverable address is the correct one. Indeed, when I changed the permissions
on the cdb file and ran "exim -M <msg-id>" again it then went on to try to send to
that non-deliverable address. (It is still queued because it has deferred with
"host lookup did not complete".)

Phil.
Phil Chambers (postmaster@???)
University of Exeter