Re: [Exim] Sudden change in exim relay behavior

Inizio della pagina
Autore: Mark Edwards
To: Giuliano Gavazzi
CC: Suresh Ramasubramanian, exim-users
Oggetto: Re: [Exim] Sudden change in exim relay behavior
On Wednesday, February 5, 2003, at 02:07 PM, Giuliano Gavazzi wrote:

> At 10:42 -0800 2003/02/05, Mark Edwards wrote:
>> On Wednesday, February 5, 2003, at 09:56 AM, Giuliano Gavazzi wrote:
> [..]
>>> do you mean that Mailman uses IPv6 to connect? Mmmm, even if it did I
>>> guess Mark is not listening on ::1 anyway and probably did not even
>>> compile IPv6 support in.
>>> So, in the above is true, wouldn't 127.0.0.1 be enough?
>>
>> Okay, I'm starting to understand what's going on here. The FreeBSD
>> port for Exim started defaulting to include IPv6 support since I last
>> built it. And, unlike other processes that communicate with Exim on
>> my
>> machine, Mailman apparently identifies itself as ::1 (IPv6) instead of
>> 127.0.0.1 (IPv4). Thus, the setup broke.
>>
>> Now, my only question would be what's the best way to cope with this?
>> Which is better:
>>
>> hostlist relay_from_hosts = 127.0.0.1 : ::::1
>>
>> or
>>
>> hostlist relay_from_hosts = localhost
>>
>> I'm guessing the former, as the latter would be easier to spoof?
>
> ah ha! Now that I think of it, when I telnet to localhost it first
> attempts ::1 and then (after failing to connect) it tries 127.0.0.1,
> so Mailman is simply IPv6 compatible and as telnet first attempts the
> IPv6 and then the IPv4 addresses, only that in your case exim accepts
> the connection on ::1. (The order they come might just be a DNS > thing).
>
> Now, to your questions, the easiest solution is to stop exim from
> listening on ::1, bringing us back to IPv4 only (at least for
> localhost).

Is there a way to do this without having to specify all of the
interfaces to listen on? The only way I can figure out to do it is
something like:

local_interfaces = 216.27.183.129 : 127.0.0.1 : 192.168.1.1

Is there a way to say, "listen on all IPv4 interfaces?" I hate having
IP settings littered around in lots of config files...

--
Mark Edwards
San Francisco, CA