Re: Re[2]: [Exim] (off-topic) - Recommended imap server

Author: michael
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: Re[2]: [Exim] (off-topic) - Recommended imap server
> > > Thanks for this. I would like to know why the standard is to place
> > > maildir mail in '~/Maildir' - anyone know?

> as i recall, it goes there because djb decided that was where it should go.

And there are good reasons to do so. The traditional solutions of a
sticky bit on /var/mail or a special group for mailboxes are both ugly.
Looking at all the efforts procmail makes to still operate reliable
tells a lot.

Mail files should only be owned by the user and reside in a directory
that is, too. Maildir does that, mailbox format in /var/mail (or
/var/spool/mail) does not.

Michael