Re: [Exim] [Exim]Routing around blocking servers

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Leonardo Boselli
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: exim-users-admin, David H. Lynch Jr., 'Exim users list'
Αντικείμενο: Re: [Exim] [Exim]Routing around blocking servers
On 5 Feb 2003, at 11:21, James P. Roberts wrote:
> > I have two internet connections. One on a standard multiple
> > fixed IP 128K business class DSL line and one on a floating IP
> > cable.
> My outbound routing favors the cable as it is dramatically faster, andas I
> > wish to conserve bandwidth on my DSL connection. I have email users
> > that frequently need to send very large files as attachments, a few
> > of these will choke my DSL connection.
> > I am not sure whether various ISP's policies have changed, but I am
> > starting to get an increasing number of bounces because a few major
> > ISP's are now blocking email from cable IP's. In some evil twist,
> > they serve a disproportionate percentage of the clients that we send
> > large files to.
> > Is the a way to persuade exim (4.x) to send e-mail for certain
> > users via a specific interface or IP ?
> All that said, I'm pretty sure that, yes, you can specify an IP (and
> port) to use for any particular Exim router.
> To do this, specify the cable IP/port for your clients to connect to
> your SMTP server (which is tricky, no doubt, if it is not a fixed
> IP...). Then, specify in your Exim config to send outbound on the DSL
> (fixed IP).

I read that his problem is rather ouboud.
I have no idea on how to set (i do not use 4.x) but the way should
be this:
1. choose the link that at the moment has the wider bandwidth
available
2. try to send, if it bounces try to send from the other address.
an easier way is
1. if the message has certain charachteristics goes throught the
second route.
2. if it bounce immediately is sent via the other route.
3. you could have two server with the second falling back to the
first on bouce, (but then: how to say to exim to use only a certai
interface ?)

--
Leonardo Boselli
Nucleo Informatico e Telematico del Dipartimento Ingegneria Civile