Re: [Exim] Fw: for Kevin Sindhu

Author: Suresh Ramasubramanian
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Fw: for Kevin Sindhu
On Monday, February 03, 2003 10:04 AM [GMT+0530=IST],
Kevin Sindhu <Kevin.A.Sindhu@???> wrote:

> > Why are you wasting time checking _all_ Received headers for dialup
> > blocks?
>
> I'm not. Your ^MTA^ is listed both in rfc-ignorant and dsbl.org. SA
> marks
> this a point and they all go over my kill point (which is also the
> default)
> 5.0. See below

My outbound mail, in case you failed to notice, is routed through
frodo.hserus.net (202.77.223.48) - which is in none of those DNSBLs.

That 61.whatever is the address of my home ADSL connection, which I
don't use an mta for anything except queueing mail and then forwarding
it through my colo box.

> No. frodo is listed on additional lists.
>
> > You are basically just wasting your time checking for dialups /
> dnsbl > IPs in headers other than the first Received: header ...
>
> No. Please see above and below for more details.

Please follow your own advice.

>>         by frodo.hserus.net with asmtp
>>         (SSLv3:EDH-RSA-DES-CBC3-SHA:168) (Exim 4.12)
>>         id 18fX09-0002nx-00
>>         for Kevin.A.Sindhu@???; Mon, 03 Feb 2003 08:40:30 +0530

Oh. So that's why. Your stupid "viruswall" snips out the connecting IP
of frodo.hserus.net - and so you check for IPs one header down, to my
smarthost.

Utterly stupid way to scan your mail ... about as stupid as running a
mail gateway that strips / doesn't log originating IPs in the received:
headers.

    srs