Re: [Exim] What to do about non-monitonic process ids

Top Pagina
Auteur: Richard.Hall
Aan: exim-users
Onderwerp: Re: [Exim] What to do about non-monitonic process ids
I regret that I don't have the time to make a more meaningful contribution
to this debate, but can I just pick up on one little point ...

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003, James P. Roberts wrote:

[...]
> What I think is, the ID's are not human-readable anyway (at least, not
> to THIS human!). Whenever I want to do something with one, I never type
> it by hand, but use whatever "cut & paste" feature is available. Go
> ahead and make maximum use of the 16 characters you have, without
> suffering the "major upheaval" problem.

I'd almost agree with you, were it not for 'split_spool_directory'. I need
to know that the sixth character of the message-id is in fact the spool
sub-directory where I can find the spool files when I really need to. And
sometimes I _do_ need to.

(OK, it's not absolutely essential, but its a d**n sight easier than not
knowing)

HTH,
Richard Hall