Re: [Exim] [OT] MLMs using SMTP locally

Author: Nigel Metheringham
Subject: Re: [Exim] [OT] MLMs using SMTP locally
On Tue, 2003-01-28 at 22:43, Matthew Byng-Maddick wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 08:27:55PM +0100, Marc Haber wrote:
> > As most "modern" mailing list managers insist on delivering outgoing
> > mail via SMTP
>
> Out of interest, am I the only person who considers this to be totally
> evil? And do you consider that your MUA should deliver onwards using
> SMTP?

MLMs tend to deliver a batch of addresses at a time. There is no way
with a command line injection to fail a single address out of a batch
other than sending bounce messages back. There are other failure modes
too - there was a message from me starting a thread on this on
mailman-developers a couple of years back about all the ways the
Sendmail.py injection method could fail without you being able to
realistically recover.

Maybe SMTP isn't the right answer, but we need some form of injection
protocol with better error handling than a single status value.

    Nigel.