Re: passwd schmasswd. Was: Re: [Exim] Exim 4.10 on OS X Serv…

Top Pagina
Auteur: Philip Hazel
Aan: Giuliano Gavazzi
CC: exim-users
Onderwerp: Re: passwd schmasswd. Was: Re: [Exim] Exim 4.10 on OS X Server - Relay Problems
On Fri, 24 Jan 2003, Giuliano Gavazzi wrote:

> >Exim 4.12 provides a "passwd"-lookup.
>
> yep, sorry for respawning this thread, but this passwd lookup is of
> no use for checking passwords as:

That is true. It was provided for looking up the other data about a
user. For security reasons, it does not return the password field (but
see also my comment below).

> of course a simple patch would substitute this with:
>
> *result = string_sprintf("%s:%d:%d:%s:%s:%s", pw->pw_passwd,
> (int)pw->pw_uid, (int)pw->pw_gid, pw->pw_gecos, pw->pw_dir,
> pw->pw_shell);

... which would of course not be of any use on systems where the actual
password is held in a separate "shadow" file. I rather suspect this is
most systems these days.