Re: [Exim] Exiscan customizable notification messages

Author: Alan J. Flavell
To: Exim users list
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exiscan customizable notification messages
On Mon, 27 Jan 2003, ZH wrote:

> HOw can I make exiscan sending customizing notification messages to the
> sender when a virus is found?

You have no idea who the _real_ sender is. The apparent sender (the
address in the envelope sender) may be an innocent bystander. Many
viruses these days use counterfeited sender addresses.

Either refuse to accept it from the sending MTA at SMTP time and let
_them_ deal with it; or cope with the consequences of accepting it
yourself - which essentially means freezing it and awaiting the
attentions of a human observer (yes, the postmaster). I don't see any
other options. Automatically bouncing it to the address in the
envelope sender only compounds the original abuse, in many cases.

By all means block the sending IP, pending further investigation, so
that you don't accept any more of them. That's about it, really.