Re: [Exim] setting up exim with auth

Góra strony
Autor: Dr Andrew C Aitchison
Dla: Harmohan Bhamra
CC: exim-users
Temat: Re: [Exim] setting up exim with auth
On Thu, 23 Jan 2003, Harmohan Bhamra wrote:

> --
> Hi
>
> I am trying to setup exim, to send and receive for a single tld domain on
> debian woody.
>
> I want users to authenticate to /etc/shadow over ssl if possible.
>
> The users are using Outlook or Outlook express or squirrelmail (web based
> mail)
>
> Currently I have installed exim-tls. However when the user tries to
> authenticate using Outlook express or Outlook, I get a :535 Incorrect
> authentication data
>
> Does someone have any instructions on how to get exim or exim-tls running
> with authentication. (so that users have to login/authenticate before they
> can send email).

Exim is careful to be as secure as possible, and not run with mmore
privilege than it needs; unfortunately this means that is doesn't have
permission to read the shadow password file, so the usual ssl
authentication fails.
    http://www.e-admin.de/pam_exim/
is a PAM module which has enough privilege, and is willing to allows
check the password for exim.

--
Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison        Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
A.C.Aitchison@???    http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna