Re: [Exim] exim on tru64 and commercial support

Góra strony
Autor: Nigel Metheringham
Dla: exim-users
CC: Richardson, James
Temat: Re: [Exim] exim on tru64 and commercial support
On Thu, 2003-01-23 at 10:39, Philip Hazel wrote:
> Tell your management that this is the difference between commercial and
> free software:
>
> . For commercial software, you pay big bucks and get phone support. When
> you phone up with a problem, they tell you it will be fixed in the
> next release, which is due out in 6 months time.
>
> . For free software, you pay nothing, and don't get phone support. If
> you have a problem, you post to the mailing list, and if it's a real
> problem you get a patch within 24 hours.

There are, of course, companies that provide full commercial support for
Free and Open Source Software, on per-incident or maintenance contract
basis.   The real difference with FOSS is that you have a choice of
support strategies:-
      * Commercial pre-paid support contract
      * Commercial per-incident
      * In House expertise
      * Ad hoc mailing list etc

You don't even necessarily need to commit to one of these forms - you
can combine more than one, and change pretty much on the fly if you
wish.

I don't know of any companies specifically offering exim support (mainly
because I have had no need to look for them), but I am sure there are a
number of quite skilled consultancies.

I would say that for ISP level (ie very large installation) support you
almost certainly need a significant degree of In House expertise no
matter what MTA product you use - ISPs (or big Universities,
Corporations etc) just have different degrees of requirements - I doubt
there are more than 3 mail system installations with more than a million
active registered users in the UK for example.

    Nigel.