Re: [Exim] SMTP delivery to remote hosts

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Richard Welty
A: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] SMTP delivery to remote hosts
On Sat, 18 Jan 2003 19:01:20 -0000 Neil S Hamilton <neilh@???> wrote:
> I'm sure the clear answer to this lies somewhere, but I can't find it -
> maybe I'm looking for the wrong thing.

> Anyone - what's the best way to set up Exim to deliver to non-permenantly
> connected remote hosts, eg. Exchange servers (urgh) on a static-IP dial
> up
> line etc. ? I realise one could just set the first MX record to the
> remote
> IP, and the second MX record to the exim server, but wouldn't mail then
> bounce after a while?

yes, although the parameters are tunable. it's generally a bad idea to play
these sorts of games with MX records, though.

there are various solutions involving ETRN and batch smtp, but others are
more qualified than i to discuss them. what i usually do (in the un*x/linux
world) is run an imap server on the permanently connected host and then use
getmail [1] on the intermittantly connected host to retrieve the messages
when connections are made.

richard

[1] fetchmail is the most common program for this, getmail is a smaller,
simpler python script that has numerous advantages over fetchmail and does
85% or 90% of what fetchmail does w/o the braindamage.
--
Richard Welty                                         rwelty@???