Re: [Exim] SMTP delivery to remote hosts

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Vadim Vygonets
To: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [Exim] SMTP delivery to remote hosts
Quoth Suresh Ramasubramanian on Sun, Jan 19, 2003:
> ETRN or UUCP

What he said.

In my opinion, UUCP *is* the right tool for this purpose, because
this problem fits the UUCP model very well.

ETRN requires special routing to be done[0], and it may lose mail
(which is an anathema to me) in certain cases, like if the client
issues an ETRN command and, while mail is delivered to it, goes
offline and another machine with something listening on port 25
gets the same IP address, while mail is being delivered to the
domain. In this case, the mail will be incorrectly bounced in
best case, and misdelivered or lost in worst case (you don't rely
on arbitrary mail servers on dialups to be open relays *and*
deliver arbitrary mail correctly, do you?).

Vadik.

[0] The destination server IP address should be known to the
    router that delivers mail to these domains, which is
    non-trivial with dynamic IP addresses.  This also requires
    the client to authenticate in some way.

--
Avoid reality at all costs.