[Exim] SMTP delivery to remote hosts

Author: Neil S Hamilton
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] SMTP delivery to remote hosts
Hi there -

I'm sure the clear answer to this lies somewhere, but I can't find it -
maybe I'm looking for the wrong thing.

Anyone - what's the best way to set up Exim to deliver to non-permenantly
connected remote hosts, eg. Exchange servers (urgh) on a static-IP dial up
line etc. ? I realise one could just set the first MX record to the remote
IP, and the second MX record to the exim server, but wouldn't mail then
bounce after a while? I know sendmail has the answer to this, but I don't
like sendmail, I like exim! I guess the exim server would sort-of be acting
like a fall-back host. The question is, what's the best way to do this
without screwing up the exim config for everyone else on the server?

Thanks,

Neil

Neil S Hamilton, NSH Consultancy
Internet Hosting, Web Development