Re: [Exim] rewriting full name in From-header with non-ascii…

Author: Meik Hellmund
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] rewriting full name in From-header with non-ascii characters
Philip Hazel <ph10@???> writes:

> > ${utf8:<string>} converts string from utf8 to iso-8859-1
> >
> > This is only a hack, it needs the iconv..() functions as provided by the
> > GNU libc.
>
> I have my own UTF-8 functions for use with PCRE so would not need to use
> an external lib in order to implement this.

I see, you are the author of PCRE, too.
But iconv is able to do more. What about a general
${iconv{from-encoding}{to-encoding}{string}}
expansion operator? This should not be difficult with the iconv_*() functions
in the GNU libc but I have no idea how the support outside Linux looks like.

Of course, all this could be done with the perl extension of exim.
So it is more a performance issue.

Thanks, Meik

--
Meik Hellmund