Re: [Exim] Curious difference between 3.35 and 4.12

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Paul Walsh
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Curious difference between 3.35 and 4.12
On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, Paul Walsh wrote:

> I've just upgraded from 3.35 to 4.12 and have noticed a curious difference.
> With 3.35 if I pipe a file through exim thus:
>
> cat filename |exim paul.walsh@???
>
> I receive the message with my address in the To: header
>
> If, however, I do the same with 4.12 I find there's no To: header in the
> message received

The RFCs have been updated and Exim has changed. This from the
Exim4.upgrade document:

. The always_bcc option has been abolished. If an incoming message has no To:
or Cc: headers, Exim now always adds an empty Bcc: line. This makes the
message valid for RFC 822 (sic). In time, this can be removed, because RFC
2822 does not require there to be a recipient header.

and this comment from the code:

/* An RFC 822 (sic) message is not legal unless it has at least one of "to",
"cc", or "bcc". Note that although the minimal examples in RFC822 show just
"to" or "bcc", the full syntax spec allows "cc" as well. If any resent- header
exists, this applies to the set of resent- headers rather than the normal set.

The requirement for a recipient header has been removed in RFC 2822. Earlier
versions of Exim added a To: header for locally submitted messages, and an
empty Bcc: header for others or when always_bcc was set. In the light of the
changes in RFC 2822, we now always add Bcc: just in case there are still MTAs
out there that insist on the RFC 822 syntax. */