Re: [Exim] Eudora AUTH over TLS

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Giuliano Gavazzi
To: Matt Bernstein, Jerome Mainka
CC: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [Exim] Eudora AUTH over TLS
You do not need the alternate port, you can just do with STARTTLS.
Doing so exim does not require special startup options.
Having said so, what Matt said will probably work, but I haven't
tested it personally.

Also, Eudora on Windows require you to right-click on the personality
to accept the certificate. On the Mac it will automatically display a
dialog and add the certificate to the Keychain if accepted. From this
follows that on the Mac you could import the root certificate in the
Keychain and Eudora will not display the dialog for any certificates
signed with that root.

At 14:04 +0000 2003/01/15, Matt Bernstein wrote:
>At 13:09 +0100 Jerome Mainka wrote:
>
>>I've got Exim 3.36 running fine. The sole problem deals with authentication
>>with Eudora. Briefly, Eudora doesn't try to authenticate under TLS. However,
>>it authenticates without TLS.
>
>I've had lots of problems with Eudora. Version 5.2 works OK (Win32 / MacOS
>10.2.x) if you set the SSL options to "required, alternate port". You'll
>need a copy of
>    exim -bd -oX "[0.0.0.0]::465" -tls-on-connect
>..and you might need to badger Eudora a bit to sort out the certificates.

stunnel? Doesn't that mean that you need to point your smtp to
127.0.0.1? I used to do that before SSL/SMTP auth. Very kludgy, in
particular on MacOS9, where you needed to open your ssh tunnel
manually.
It also require to allow relaying from 127.0.0.1, that I personally
do not like.
But this is a matter of taste...

At 14:07 +0000 2003/01/15, Matt Bernstein wrote:
>At 14:04 -0000 Matt Bernstein wrote:
>
>>    exim -bd -oX "[0.0.0.0]::465" -tls-on-connect

>D'oh this needs Exim 4. You can use stunnel to achieve a similar trick on
>Exim 3, but please use a separate Exim configuration file which requires
>authentication otherwise you magically become an open relay!

Giuliano
--
H U M P H
    || |||

Java & C++ Server/Client/Human Interface applications on MacOS - MacOS X
http://www.humph.com/