Re: [Exim] Retrying after a long period of failure: opinions…

Author: Sheldon Hearn
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Retrying after a long period of failure: opinions sought
On (2002/12/19 11:12), Philip Hazel wrote:

> When a remote host has been down for a long time - longer than the final
> cutoff time in its retry rule - Exim's behaviour is quite complicated.
> I'm wondering if it can be simplified and so would like to know what
> people think.

[...]

> VIEWS?
>
> Sorry this has been so long. If you've read this far, you might have a
> view. Please post it!

Hi Philip,

Sorry for the late post.

I read to the end of the thread and saw that you've decided to simply
improve the documentation.

What wasn't suggested, which surprised me, was to simply toggle the
default value of delay_after_cutoff to false.

Default options should work best for the masses. It seems to me that
the masses would be best served by no_delay_after_cutoff.

The minority groups are a minority because the deviate from the norm.
Deviating from the norm tends to force them to learn more about Exim,
which means that the minority groups tend to have more of a clue about
Exim and the way they've configured it.

So I think toggling delay_after_cutoff's default value would be best.

Ciao,
Sheldon.