[Exim] failed to open DB file

Autor: Martin Kaiser
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [Exim] failed to open DB file
Hi everybody,

yet another one of these problems. Browsing the previous mails on this
list didn't help, so I have to bother you once again.

I'm using exim 4.12 on FreeBSD 4.1, compiling Exim from the sources
(using the port is not an option on this machine).

In the log file, I see the following message:

2003-01-14 10:41:01 18YLaF-000Fxd-00 failed to open DB file
/var/spool/exim/db/retry: Inappropriate file type or format

Exim can't keep track of the retry times, undeliverable mails will never
be expunged from the queue.

I tried both the DBM that comes with FreeBSD and the latest Berkeley
DB4. However, I still get the same message.

/var/spool/exim/db/retry is owner by exim user, group and is 0 bytes of
size

/var/spool/exim/db/wait-remoteSmtp seems to be a valid hash file which
exim created and used

Any ideas how to track down this problem?

Thanks,

Martin