Re: [Exim] exim and FreeBSD

Author: Sheldon Hearn
To: Tim Wiser
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] exim and FreeBSD
On (2002/11/19 13:27), Tim Wiser wrote:

> I've downloaded the exim 4.10 port package from the BSD central site and
> decompressed it onto my test mail server box. It's inside the
> /usr/ports/mail/exim4 directory. I change to that folder as root, and do
> "make" and get an error about abook being out of date. Anyone got any
> clues?

I wasn't happy with any of the answers you received. Since I maintain
the FreeBSD port for Exim, I'll respond for the benefit of the archives:

1) Always post your exact error message; it was probably printed so that
the people you ask for help know what's going on.

In the absence of a more specific error message, I can only guess
what the problem was.

2) I'm guessing that your error message was one of:

     Your system is too old to use this bsd.port.mk.  You need
     a fresh mak e world or an upgrade kit.  Please go to
     http://www.FreeBSD.org/ports/ or a mirr or site and follow the
     instructions

or

     exim-4.10_1: You need to define PORTNAME and PORTVERSION in stead
     of PKGNAME.  (This port is too old for your bsd.port.mk, please
     update it to match your bsd.port.mk.)

Either way, you got this error because you're using an old ports tree
(/usr/ports) and copied the latest mail/exim subtree onto it, without
updating the Mk subtree.

The solution is to keep your ports tree properly synchronized.
Power-users can try to update /usr/ports/Mk themselves, but this can
lead to other problems. Most users should simply use the
instructions at http://www.freebsd.org/ports/ for keeping the portrs
tree synchronized.

Ciao,
Sheldon.