Re: [Exim] Spam/Virus scanning mini-HOWTO/RPMs

Author: Tom Kistner
To: Tim Jackson
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Spam/Virus scanning mini-HOWTO/RPMs
Tim Jackson wrote:

First, thanks for the patch you sent. Didn't have the time to reply
earlier :)

> http://www.timj.co.uk/linux/exim.php . Thanks to those who e-mailed me
> with comments/suggestions; I'm open to any more that anyone might have.

One thing: [quote from PDF]

> 6.4. Configuring Clam Antivirus
> [..]
> 7. Comment out the “ScanArchive” option – in the Exiscan
> configuration, we set unpack_mime to be true, and this unpacks
> all kinds of archives already.

exiscan will unpack the MIME container, but NOT .zip, .rar or other
archives. It is better to leave this option in. In fact, if clamAV can
unpack mime too, it may be better to disable it in exiscan, since the AV
de-mimers do not really unpack but only "scan" contents, which is
usually much faster.

Since every AV products seems to be able to de-mime stuff nowadays, I'm
thinking to make exiscan_unpack_mime = false the default in an upcoming
version.

regards,

/tom

--