Re: [Exim] Bounce and redirect, wildcards in Exim 4.x

Author: Nico Erfurth
To: Mike Weller
CC: exim-users@exim.org
New-Topics: Re: [Exim] errors_copy; was: Bounce and redirect, wildcards
Subject: Re: [Exim] Bounce and redirect, wildcards in Exim 4.x

On Sat, 11 Jan 2003, Mike Weller wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been searching like crazy to find someone with a similar problem.
> What I want is something simple.
>
> I want unknown addresses to bounce to sender, but I also want a copy
> to be sent to some other address, let's say postmaster@mydomain.
>
> In Exim 3.x, I had a configuration like:
> defaultuser:
> driver = smartuser
> new_address = postmaster@mydomain
> no_verify_recipient
> no_verify_sender
> rewrite = false
> unseen
>
> In Exim 4.12, my configuration looks like:
> catch_all:
> driver = redirect
> data = postmaster@${domain}
> no_verify_recipient
> no_verify_sender
> unseen
>
> ...for the LAST router entry. This just sends the email to postmaster.
> No bouncing goes back to the sender! It's as if the "unseen" doesn't
> have any effect (If I get rid of it, I get the same result).

Just add another router after your catch_all router
bounce_back:
driver = redirect
allow_filter
allow_fail
data = :fail: User unknown

> While I'm here, I'd like to do this a better way. I know this
> conflicts with what I just asked, but since I'll be hosting multiple
> domains, I want to know how to do this.
>
> Instead of using "data = postmaster@${domain}", I'd like to have an
> entry in the virtual domain alias file like sendmail's virtusertable:
> *: postmaster@domain
>
> I have (for exim 4.12):
>   virtual:
>     driver = redirect
>     domains = weller.ws
>     data = ${expand:${lookup{$local_part}lsearch{/etc/mail/domains/$domain}}}
>     qualify_preserve_domain
>     file_transport = address_file
>     no_more

> The wildcard *: doesnt work. It bounces error to sender if user is unknown.

How does the domain files look-like?
For a list of localparts use lsearch*, for a list of local_part@domain use
lsearch*@

> While I'm here, the errors_copy is a main configuration parameter.
> How would I do something like:
> errors_copy = postmaster@$domain
> I don't want to hardcode a domain. I want to set each postmaster
> for all the virtual domains individually.

RTFM.
Just search for errors_copy in spec.txt this should enlighten you.

ciao