Re: [Exim] Questions about SMTP pipelining

Author: Nico Erfurth
To: Brian Kendig
CC: Exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Questions about SMTP pipelining
Brian Kendig wrote:
> Nico Erfurth wrote:
>
>> You can enable exim to enforce proper use of pipelining (only allow
>> special packs of commands in a row) and disconnect if the other server
>> misbehaves.
>
> Perfect! How do I enable that?

By searching the very excellent manual?
But ok, I'm in a good mood, the option is

smtp_enforce_sync

it's enabled by default, so unless you have fiddled with your config it
should already be actived, you can easily check it with

exim -bP smtp_enforce_sync

if it just response with "smtp_enforce_sync" everything is fine, if the
response is "no_smtp_enforce_sync", it's disabled.

> And is there any way for me to tell when a sender is using pipelining,
> either correctly or incorrectly? Does anything appear in the log to
> note this?

Something like this

2003-01-09 19:46:24 SMTP protocol violation: synchronization error (next
input sent too soon): rejected .....