Re: [Exim] DNSBL Question/Alert

Author: James P. Roberts
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] DNSBL Question/Alert
<snip>

were

> > > If most of your SMTP client connections were timing out when a

DNSBL was
> > > unavailable then either your SMTP client are _very_ poor quality

and
> > > non-standard implementations, or your DNS resolver is waiting far

too
> > > long for responses.
> >
> > I would disagree with your above assessment. It wasn't the SMTP

client
> > connections that were timing out.
> >
> > The connections were being deferred due to the "+defer_unknowns"

option
> > on the DNSBL lookups.
>
> OK, well it sure does help to get one's facts straight before
> complaining about the wrong thing! I could only assume that Mark

meant
> "connections were timing out" when he wrote "connections were timing
> out" above.
>

> --
> Greg A. Woods

I see your point, Greg! Amazing how important it is to write clearly.
Perhaps I should have complained to Mark about the imprecise description
of his problem, rather than jumping on your assessment of what he wrote.
I guess I should slap my own hand for not reading more carefully,
myself! I was just too close to the problem.

"Couldn't see the Woods for the trees." *grins*

Jim Roberts
Punster Productions, Inc.