[Exim] some assistance please. mail hitting my server 1,000 …

Autor: k9register
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [Exim] some assistance please. mail hitting my server 1,000 to 4,000 emails in seconds.
Hello group.

My server has been hit for weeks at different times of the day with
1,000 to 4,000 emails in seconds, I have checked logs and watched top -c
for hours and ran netstat -an and still am confused as to how these
emails get in.

they are sent to or from my server as nobody and to all different
hotmail , yahoo and msn address, thosands of them all addressed to the
same account.

some mornings there are 12,000 emails in the queue, deleting them is not
a problem apart from a few clients emails which get lost in the process.

I have managed to stop them relaying out with some changes to exim.conf
and shutting downsend mail, when watching top -c I get multiple sendmail
procceses appear for a second and then gone, sure enough I check the
queue and thousands are there.

I have upgraded the kernal only yesterday, I run Bastille which is setup
fairly well.

Could I have some opinions as to how this sort of thing happens, I have
searched the server for mail-bombs and any exploits, which might cause
this, some have suggested its a client as my server is a webhosting
server, but to get 13 megabytes into my server or out of it in seconds
would take a good connection I would have thought.

My exim.conf does not allow relaying.

thankyou.