Re: [Exim] OpenLDAP v2 client vs. v1 server issue in Exim 4.…

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Christian Balzer
Para: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] OpenLDAP v2 client vs. v1 server issue in Exim 4.12
Tony Earnshaw wrote:

[...]
>Phip's post in this thread is right. Using LDAP V1 with Exim 4.1x is
>like using Windows 3.10 with an XP (or Samba 3.0) PDC. They just don't
>understand eachother. As time goes on and both rise in potential, the
>difference will become more and more marked

They understand each other very well, see my reply to Philip. Of course
there will be an upgrade (or replacement by direct DB queries depending
on some rather extensive tests) to OpenLDAP 2, but as I said that's
not an option right now. Nor is it a technical necessity.

>If you're making an Exim upgrade and are heavily dependant on LDAP,
>invest the time in upgrading to LDAPv3 first. If you don't, you'll be
>painting yourself into a corner.

The exim upgrade tests and evaluations are finished, I could upgrade
to 4.10 now and 4.12 after a very short (day) test period. Going to
OID hell, upgrading (more like rolling out 2 new servers, geee, no
budget) the LDAP servers, doing all the schema enhancements sitting on
my desk, doing full re-integration tests, all that will take weeks.

And not having found any non-hacked, main stream, fully supported
LDAP POP and IMAP server that deals with mailbox style boxes (so
Courier is out) removes a lot of incentive I would otherwise have to
push madly for a newer OpenLDAP. ;P
(Currently running a hacked qpopper and eying Cyrus, but I prefer the
KISS approach. A simple POP and IMAP server with LDAP hooks will do
nicely)

Regards,

Christian Balzer
--
Christian Balzer        Network Engineer        Engineering
chibi@???       Global OnLine Japan/Exodus Communications K.K.