Re: [Exim] DNSBL Question/Alert

Autor: James P. Roberts
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] DNSBL Question/Alert
As far as I know, there is no setting to disable a particular DNSBL "on
the fly" so to speak. I am sure I will be corrected if wrong! Philip,
is there any simple way to do something in the code, to achieve the
following:

(a) if we get some number of timeouts in a row, to a particular DNSBL,
temporarily stop using that DNSBL.
(b) write a message to the log when this occurs.
(c) do something (similar to existing retry rules?), to see if DNSBL
server has come back up yet.
(d) write to the log each time the DNSBL server is tested.
(e) resume using the DNSBL if the server has come back up.
(f) write to the log when this occurs.

Another idea balloon to float:

If using +defer_unknowns with one's DNSBL list, and if only one of
multiple DNSBL is giving timeouts, and the other(s) are giving a clean
bill of health, do not impose the defer.

That would prevent the situation that I hit, which was that, because a
single DNSBL went down, ALL incoming mail was suddenly getting deferred.
As a result, I've removed +defer_unknowns, which now puts me at risk of
accepting spam, if the DNSBL's I use are victimized by DOS attacks, for
example, or even just very high traffic. Which might occur during a
large spam attack... self-fulfilling... kind of a "throw so much water
at the dam that it flows over the top" thing. I sure don't want to
encourage that!

Any thoughts?

Jim Roberts
Punster Productions, Inc.