Re: [Exim] ldapauth quoting-problem

Autor: michael
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] ldapauth quoting-problem
> > It is (from a logical viewpoint) also not really obvious why
> > ${quote_ldap} is necessary(and working) for the uid but ${quote} is
> > required for the password . . .

> I haven't followed this thread either. Please remind me (on or off list)
> exactly what the problem is. I assume it's to do with quoting
> passwords/uids... Which example are you referring to? Thanks.

Neither have I, but indeed Exim does not supply sufficient quoting
mechanisms for LDAP. My last suggestion was a new function for URL
quoting (quote_url) and two functions for strings in DNs for strings
in filters (quote_ldapdn/quote_ldapfilter). The quote_dn function must
allow two arguments: The optional beginning of a DN string and the part
that might contain characters to be quoted.

I always wanted to hack some code for both functions, but never got to
do it so far.

If the user is part of the DN and the password is part of the filter,
two different quoting functions must be used.

See RFC 1485 and RFC 1558 and admire the lack of design.

Michael