Re: [Exim] How to use RBL / postal subscription essential???

Author: Tim Jackson
To: exim-users
Hi Michael, on Mon, 6 Jan 2003 09:14:48 +0100 you wrote:

> on a private basis I want to use the RBL or maybe the RBL+ system.
> I changed the exim 3.36 config file to do a RBL check as described on
> the exim homepage.
> Now I saw on the MAPS homepage that you have to register manually by
> filling out a form and sending it via fax to them, no matter if you are
> an individual or an enterprise customer...
> Is this true or did I just miss something?

MAPS is a commercial service and you generally have to pay, although last
time I checked there were limited "free" exemptions, but they still
required signing written forms etc.

If you're looking for a free solution, you're better off using some
combination of:

- ORDB ( http://www.ordb.org/ )
- SBL ( http://www.spamhaus.org/ )

(I strongly recommend you reject based on the above two)

- bl.spamcop.net ( http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml ) - but this is fairly
aggressive
- DSBL ( http://www.dsbl.org/ )
- Others...

Don't forget that although the "MAPS RBL" is a particular service, "RBL"
is frequently used as a general term to describe realtime blocking lists
such as those above.

Tim