Re: [Exim] problem with main domain (virtual hosts) -- need …

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Attila
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] problem with main domain (virtual hosts) -- need help
On Mon, 23 Dec 2002, Attila wrote:

> exim.conf contains this:
> ------------------------------
> virtual:
> driver = aliasfile
> optional
> domains = dbm;/etc/mail/local_domains.db
> file = /etc/mail/$domain
> search_type = lsearch*
> ------------------------------

Presumably your default qualify domain is NOT one of the virtual
domains. Therefore, the new addresses such as some_user that are not
qualified, will be qualified with your default domain and will not go
through this aliasing again.

> It worked all fine till I wanted to enter a * line in the file of the
> main domain (e.g. domain1.com).

This doesn't work if the addresses that are generated by aliasing are in
the same domain, because they then go through the aliasing again.

> This caused that the user who should
> have received all emails sent to <anything>@domain1.com received all
> emails sent to any address of _all_ domains on the server!

I don't believe that is precisely accurate: it would only have been for
addresses in your main domain. At least, if you have a conventional
alias setup for the main domain.

> So that's the situation. What could be the reason for this? And how can
> it be fixed? Please help me! :)

If none of the aliases in your main domain generate addresses that need
themselves to be processed as possible aliases, you can use the ... er
... what did it used to be called in Exim 3? ... option which doesn't
re-alias... ah! It's "new_director". Look that up in the ref manual.

If you do need re-aliasing, you'll have to make sure that the address
you alias "*" to is itself recognized as an alias:

  j.caesar:    jc10
  postmaster:  j.caesar
  *:           somebody
  somebody:    somebody

What does that work? Well, the first time round, an unknown local part
gets turned into "somebody". The next time round, "somebody" gets turned
into "somebody". The next time round, Exim realizes that it has already
used that director to process "somebody", so it skips it.