Re: [Exim] hiding software type & version

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Dennis Davis
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: Timothy Arnold
Kopio: exim-users
Aihe: Re: [Exim] hiding software type & version
>From: Timothy Arnold <timothy.arnold@???>
>To: 'Suresh Ramasubramanian' <mallet@???>,
>    Timothy Arnold <timothy.arnold@???>
>Cc: "'exim-users@???'" <exim-users@???>
>Subject: RE: [Exim] hiding software type & version
>Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 11:58:51 -0000

>I realize that there might be other methods for determining what
>version of MTA/OS I am running, but why give a scriptkiddie an easy
>ride?

Quite. I'm happy to do this with most s/w *providing* it's
cheap to do. My exim configuration files usually include
the following somewhere in the main configuration section:

# Let's go almost minimal on the SMTP greeting banner. This is
# obviously only relevant if we are listening on the SMTP port.
smtp_banner = "${primary_hostname} SMTP Server ready."

--
Remember, security through obscurity isn't inherently harmful---as
long as it doesn't interfere with the deployment of real security