[Exim] Re: Exim?

Author: Patrick Starrenburg
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Re: Exim?
"Adrian Parker" <adrian.parker@???> writes:

> Exim 3.36 run on Debian.
>
> I've read on exim.org how to reject domains using `host_reject_recipients`.
> I've followed the examples as I understood them, but still I can't seem to
> reject the domains I want. In my config file I put:
>
> host_reject_recipients = "hotmail.com : *.hotmail.com : backpacker.com :
> *.backpacker.com"

Hi

1) Don't use quotes - "" host_reject_recipients has type of 'host list' and
quotes should not be used (ideally...) because... (I believe) it is then
treated as one string so you are trying to match a host of the whole string!
Oops :-) In Exim the ":" is used as separator between values in lists
2) Whenever you make config file changes check with ./exim -bV to see if
config is OK
3) If you have problems with Exim/want to understand what it is doing run it
in debug mode which is explained in specs doc (see 4) you can then test any
mail address and see how Exim eats it.
4) Have a read of specs document available on many platforms including PDF it
has very detailed information
5) Lastly and most important - ** upgrade to Exim 4.xx ** version 3.xx is now
well out of date and you will find version 4.x does what you want easier and
you are more likely to find better support.

Patrick