Re: [Exim] New AOL Mailer for forgery filter (for Exim 4.x)

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Mark Hynes
Para: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] New AOL Mailer for forgery filter (for Exim 4.x)
> Dec 20, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-12-20 at 01:38, Jeffrey Wheat wrote:
> > While this works great for web-based mail clients, this
> > is rejecting valid emails sent by AOL cable modem users
> > that are using outlook or other email clients. Has anyone
> > come up with a better way to handle AOL abused addresses?
>
> Headers please?
>
> You mean they are running a mail proxy or even a full blown MTA of some
> kind (if only IIS SMTPSVC) and sending out mails through localhost:smtp?
>
> If they use AOL mail, they _have_ to use the AOL client as far as I am
> aware.

That's true, if I remember rightly.

However, they might not be using AOL mail or sending via an AOL gateway -
for example, user@??? might also connect via another ISP and send out
mail via the separate ISP addressed from user@???, perfectly
legitimately. Any restrictions based on the User-Agent / X-Mailer or similar
would reject any such mail.

While the number of users with AOL addresses likely to do this is small, it
seems very draconian (and arguably wrong) to reject their mail. Obviously
you're also going to reject any legitimate mail coming via AOL should they
(quite reasonably) change the information in the headers they send.

As an aside, SMTP callbacks should work with AOL as they 550 unknown users
at RCPT time. Of course there's probably so many usernames that many *will*
exist though...

--
| Mark Hynes           mark.hynes@??? |
| Systems Developer   http://www.uk.easynet.net/ |