[Exim] crypt16() and SMTP AUTH

Author: Marcin Sochacki
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] crypt16() and SMTP AUTH
Hello,

I'm in the process of migrating user accounts from Digital Unix system
to Linux with MySQL database holding users' data and Exim 4.10.

I've found, that some passwords of DUX's users have a strange form, e.g.:
"qzgyNslr3WpesDi.7XrD9rx6". AFAIK, those passwords are created with crypt16()
system function, which is used on DUX, when user enters a password longer
than 8 characters.

After copying such a password to the new system, the user can log on
without any problem (SSH/POP3/IMAP authentication is done via nss-mysql
and PAM), but he/she can't use SMTP AUTH capability of Exim.

My configuration:
auth_plain:
driver = plaintext
public_name = PLAIN
server_condition = "${if and { {!eq{$2}{}} {!eq{$3}{}} \
{crypteq{$3}{${lookup mysql{SELECT password FROM user WHERE user_name='$2'} \
{$value}fail}}}}{1}{0}}"
server_set_id = $2
client_send = CLIENTAUTHPLAIN

(auth_login is very similar).

Apparently crypteq doesn't recognize those passwords, and the authentication
fails because of "wrong password" (and I'm sure a good password was entered).

Any suggestion about how to deal with the problem?

Marcin

--
Windows 2000: A reliable comprehensive and integrated operating system
              platform delivering seamless interoperability, scalability,