[Exim] Newbie question about verifying recipient addresses.

Author: Mark Boyd
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Newbie question about verifying recipient addresses.
I have just recently setup exim (on Debian Woody) to relay SMTP messages
to/from my Exchange server because of the various limitations of the MS
SMTP implementation. As far as the configuration of exim is concerned
it's pretty simple. It acts as an SMTP relay for inbound e-mail from
the rest of the world, and acts as an outbound relay for the Exchange
server. As far as the outbound e-mail is concerned things are working
great.

The reverse case, where exim accepts inbound e-mail for my Exchange
server works as well, but there are some customizations I'm trying to
make in order to really get it working well. From exim I want to verify
the recipient addresses, and if they're not valid reject the message at
the "rcpt to:..." level rather than forwarding it to my Exchange server
and having it generate an "Unknown address message". To implement this
scheme I've tried various combinations of the receiver_verify_addresses
and sender_reject_recipients options but neither one seems to get
activated on the inbound SMTP messages. I would highly appreciate any
insight into what is most likely a configuration issue.

TIA,

Mark Boyd