Re: [Exim] Re: dictionary attacks

Author: Alan J. Flavell
To: Kevin P. Fleming
CC: exim-users@exim.org
Subject: Re: [Exim] Re: dictionary attacks
On Wed, 18 Dec 2002, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

> Check the archive threads from last week entitled "Basic Teergrubing...",

I did, thanks. A couple of comments, if I may...

In Teergrubing, as it's normally understood, the purpose of the
exercise is to spin-out the action without the caller entirely losing
interest, i.e the timeouts are set to keep the caller waiting but not
long enough for them to abandon the call. My motivation here is to
get rid of the caller, by whatever means that it takes. As it
happens, what I'm doing is to delay _longer_ than they're willing to
wait, so that they drop the call. If there was an ACL command to exim
to tell it to unceremoniously drop the call, then I think that would
be just as effective (especially if taken in conjunction with a
blacklist that refuses further SMTP calls from that IP).

Well, I was only exhibiting the principle, based as it was on our
current use of 4.10. When there's a simpler way of executing a time
delay, then I've absolutely no objection to using it - but I thought
the underlying principle was worth a mention, regardless.