Re: [Exim] Quick newbie question - upgrade from 4.10

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Marcelo Moreira
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Quick newbie question - upgrade from 4.10
On Thu, 12 Dec 2002, Marcelo Moreira wrote:

> The question is: 4.11 is out there. I downloaded and compiled it. What is
> the best way to test it and to replace the 4.10 with the 4.11. I see a lot
> of instructions on upgrading version 3 to 4, but not within 4. Is it so
> simple as just installing and SIGHUP the daemon ?

Yes.

However, I seem to have introduced a few problems into 4.11, so it is
probably best in this instance. to wait a few days until I replace it
with 4.12.

For any new release, read the README.UPDATING file. I try to include in
there anything that might cause a problem when upgrading.

> Also, if I do not have any messages in the spool, is it safe to delete the
> spool and have the new daemon recreate it, so it can begin fresh, or is
> there no real advantage in doing it (as far as reusing or not the hints db)

There's no advantage in deleting the spool. As for the hints, you can
delete them at any time without loss of function, though it might affect
performance.