Re: [Exim] Exim and addresses with a forward-slash (aka X.4…

Author: Drav Sloan
To: Rich, WhidbeyNet NOC
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim and addresses with a forward-slash (aka X.400)
Rich, WhidbeyNet NOC wrote:
> After migrating from Qmail to Exim, a customer complained that we no
> longer accept addresses with a forward-slash in them. Exim returns "550
> Administrative Prohibition".

are you running 4.xx?

If so you may want to check this followin g section ya exim configure
file:

# Deny if the local part contains @ or % or / or | or !. These are rarely
# found in genuine local parts, but are often tried by people looking to
# circumvent relaying restrictions.

# Also deny if the local part starts with a dot. Empty components aren't
# strictly legal in RFC 2822, but Exim allows them because this is common.
# However, actually starting with a dot may cause trouble if the local part
# is used as a file name (e.g. for a mailing list).

  deny    local_parts   = ^.*[@%!/|] : ^\\.

(note / is one of the 'illegal' chars), does that solve the problem?

(I'm assuming this arised when your server is being used to relay
for a 3rd party).

Regards

D.