Re: [Exim] Under which circumstances Exim sends an automatic…

Author: Philip Hazel
To: oliver
CC: exim-users
New-Topics: Re: [Exim] Under which circumstances Exim sends anautomaticallygeneratedmessageto an extern user?
Subject: Re: [Exim] Under which circumstances Exim sends an automaticallygeneratedmessage to an extern user?
On Tue, 10 Dec 2002, oliver wrote:

> > Is your Exim log in the root partition?
>
> Yes it is.

Then that is presumably why Exim couldn't write a <= line when the
message arrived.

> Here are the corresponding log entrys:
>
> 2002-12-09 14:52:45 18LOKu-0002UL-00 <= user1@??? H=merkur.hrz.uni-giessen.de [134.176.2.12] P=esmtp S=2376 id=xxxx
> 2002-12-09 14:52:45 18LOKu-0002UL-00 => user2 <user2@???> R=localuser T=local_delivery ST=local_backup_delivery (No space left on device: error while writing to /mailserv2/user2)
> 2002-12-09 14:52:45 18LOKu-0002UL-00 Completed
>
> And then 91 seconds later Exim send another message to this (extern) user:
>
> 2002-12-09 14:54:16 12002-12-09 14:54:16 18LOMR-0002Vn-00 => user1@??? <user1@???> R=smart_route T=remote_smtp H=merkur.hrz.uni-giessen.de [134.176.2.12]
> 2002-12-09 14:54:16 18LOMR-0002Vn-00 Completed
>
> I found no matching timeout value into my configuration file,
> but could the shadow transport error cause Exim to send this message?

No. Once it is run, it is run, and that's the end of it. But since the
error is "no space left on device", presumably that means there was no
space left for writing the log line for the incoming message.

18LOMR is 13:54:15, which corresponds nicely.