Re: [Exim] Exim 3.36 and RBL

Author: Matthew Byng-Maddick
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim 3.36 and RBL
On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 07:33:47PM -0500, Exim List Account wrote:
> "`/accept' allows RBL-type lookups to be used for `white lists' as well as
> black lists. The message is accepted from a host that matches an `/accept'
> item, and no further RBL domains are considered. Earlier `/warn' entries may
> have already added warning headers."
> (http://www.exim.org/exim-html-3.30/doc/html/spec.html from section 46.1)
>
> The way we interpret that, it passes the mail through to the user even if
> the host is listed in one of the other lists. This may be an error in
> iterpretation on our part, but it seems reasonable to believe that there is
> an inherent whitelisting function available, even for the negation generally
> used in rbl_hosts.

I read this as "you can set up a dns-based list that will cause a netblock
to be accepted". So you create a list which is eg.:

$ORIGIN 215.34.10.whitelist.domain.tld
$GENERATE 1-254 $ IN A 127.0.0.1

which would then allow all the hosts in 10.34.215.0/24

If I'm understanding correctly, this doesn't seem to be how you're using it.

MBM