Re: [Exim] Example of legit email rejected by testing on rev…

Author: James P. Roberts
To: exim-users, Giuliano Gavazzi
Subject: Re: [Exim] Example of legit email rejected by testing on reverse IP lookup
IPs.

your
> >>  > provider's mailserver.
> >>  > > <h-64-105-159-234.PHLAPAFG.covad.net[64.105.159.234]>:
> >>  > >     Client host rejected: mail from domains with

generic/dialup/DHCP

> >> Yes, indeed.
> >>
> >> Smarthost through your provider.
> >
> >As long as the IP is static I have no problems with accepting mail

from
> >that netblock in general (except in cases where there is more than a

few
> >spam sources from a single /24 of such IPs).
> >
> >Dynamic IPs on the other hand deserve to be blocked wholesale. Ditto
> >with NAT gateways like some idiot cablemodem providers run (allotting
> >their users RFC1918 addresses and NATting all outbound traffic

through
> >one or more IPs).
> >
> > srs
>
> the same here, I would not have blocked the above if the HELO
> argument had been in the same domain as the reverse lookup, after all
> what's the point pretending to be something else since that is what
> most spammers but very few bona fide servers do?
>
> Giuliano
> --
> H U M P H
>     || |||
>   software

> Java & C++ Server/Client/Human Interface applications on MacOS - MacOS

> http://www.humph.com/

Well, I certainly want my server to advertise its true name
(puns01.punsterproductions.com). I have been trying to get Covad to
make the reverse DNS lookup return the correct name instead of the bogus
one they made up. It is a static IP block, of course.

If you forward lookup my server, it returns the correct IP address. It
is only the reverse DNS, currently outside my control, which is screwed
up. But at least an entry exists.

Changing my server name to match the Covad made-up name won't solve the
particular problem, with the Postfix MTA that actually rejected me. It
seems it is the actual made-up name that triggered the block, rather
than the IP address, per se, or the fact that the HELO didn't match.
Not only that, but I really don't want to have to constantly monitor
Covad to catch every time they change their reverse naming scheme.
Geez, what a nightmare that would be! And of course, I want to present
my actual domain name. It's what I am paying "business-class" rates
for, afterall.

The real solution appears to be to get a competent business-class
provider. But the cost may be prohibitive.

Another solution under consideration is to retry such rejected emails,
by routing them to the Covad SMTP server. Does anyone have any
suggestions on how to do this? I don't want to send everything that
way, since it means everything sits in yet another queue. And the
problem is obviously fairly limited in scope. Seems too big a hammer to
re-route everything, when only one out of thousands of emails hits this
problem.

Jim Roberts
Punster Productions, Inc.