[Exim] sender_verify problems

Author: Toralf Lund
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] sender_verify problems
And now for one of the reasons why I still get a lot of frozen messages
(see above):

In my exim (3.33) config I have:
    # Verify sender of message
    sender_verify
    sender_verify_batch
    # Reject it.
    sender_verify_reject
    # Allow invalid envelope if Sender:, Reply-To:, or From: is correct
    sender_verify_fixup

    # Also require correct From:, Sender: or Reply-To:
    headers_sender_verify
    headers_checks_fail

    # Similar check for messages with NULL sender (in envelope)
    headers_sender_verify_errmsg

According to rejectlog, this does stop some messages, but in many cases
the mail is still delivered even though I get an error message if I try to
send a reply (which I do a lot right now to test if my anti-spam measures
work.) Explanations?

Some example error messages:

2002-12-02 09:08:30 18Ilcz-00076a-00 ** focfqz425@??? R=lookuphost
T=remote_smtp: SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT
TO:<focfqz425@???>: host mx4.hotmail.com [65.54.253.230]: 550
Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable
2002-12-02 09:08:32 18Ilcz-00076W-00 ** bmannol4545q18@???
R=lookuphost T=remote_smtp: SMTP error from remote mailer after end of
data: host mx1.mail.yahoo.com [64.157.4.83]: 554 delivery error: dd This
user doesn't have a yahoo.com account (bmannol4545q18@???) -
mta529.mail.yahoo.com

2002-12-02 15:17:02 18IrNd-00023r-00 ** einstein_was_gays@???
R=lookuphost T=remote_smtp: SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT
TO:<einstein_was_gays@???>: host mx2.mail.yahoo.com [64.157.4.82]:
553 VS10-RT Possible forgery or deactivated due to abuse - see
http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/mail/spam/spam-18.html (#5.1.1)

--
- Toralf