[Exim] Re: Unrouteable address because of aliases

Author: Patrick Starrenburg
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Re: Unrouteable address because of aliases
OK - as I mentioned in reply to your offlist mail to me your DNS is broken.
The DNS servers for your top level domain provide answer your host A record
but *not* your host MX record.

So:

1) if you do not have qualify_domain set in your Exim configure file and
2) if Exim cannot find record for mail server for your *host* on the Internet

then things will work.

Do this on Linux box where "your.host.sub.domain" = your hostname and domain =
your University top level domain:

# dig domain SOA

this will give you your *domain* SOA/DNS server then

# dig @the.dns.servername.returned.above your.host.sub.domain MX

and you will get nothing. You need to fix this because even if you get Exim to
forward mail locally then people are still not going to be able to send you
mail.

Plus in your Exim configure file you have a whole class C internet address
range setup to be allowed to relay off your box. You *really* want to do
that?? Spammers will love you, the rest of us won't :-)

PS