[Exim] Re: Changeover from sendmail (exim newbie)

Author: Patrick Starrenburg
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Re: Changeover from sendmail (exim newbie)
"Luke Pascoe" <luke.p@???> writes:

> I'm using Exim 3.35 because it came with Debian, I'll try
> downloading/installing exim 4 tonight but I don't have much experience
> installing from source.

It's pretty straightforward, as long as you have compiler installed (which
usually is case) just download latest version, read through chapter four in
the Exim 4 spec document (downloaded separately) and carefully follow
instructions. If the compile goes OK and does not report any errors then it
should be fine to proceed to "make install". Seeing as you are doing a new
install anyway you don't need to upgrade anything.

You can always make a copy of existing 3.35 program for backup, just remember
to check if sendmail is actually a soft link to exim - usually done in Exim
installation.

Good luck

PS