Re: [Exim] :FAIL: message missing

Author: Philip Hazel
To: j.linn
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] :FAIL: message missing
On Fri, 29 Nov 2002, j.linn wrote:

> I now see that the problem is because the recipient "fails" as a
> consequence of the alias list ":fail:" but the ACL has a message "unknown
> user".
>
> Is there any way to get the ":fail:" message into the message produced by
> the ACL.

Also discussed on the list regularly. This is already documented:

message = <text>

This modifier sets up a message which is used as an error message if a
subsequent condition in the current statement causes the ACL to deny
access. The message is returned as part of the SMTP response. For example:

     deny message = Relaying denied
          domains = !+relay_domains

The text is literal; any quotes are taken as literals, but because it is
expanded, backslash escapes are processed anyway. If the message contains
newlines, this gives rise to a multi-line SMTP response. Like
"log_message", the contents of "message" are not expanded until after a
condition has failed.

   If "message" is used on a statement that verifies an address, the message   |
   specified overrides any message that is generated by the verification       |
   process. However, the original message is available in the variable         |
   $acl_verify_message, so you can incorporate it into your message if you     |
   wish. In particular, if you want the text from ":fail:" items in redirect   |
   routers to be passed back as part of the SMTP response, you should either   |
   not use a "message" modifier, or make use of $acl_verify_message.           |

   If "message" is used with "warn", it causes a header line to be added an    |
   incoming message; for non-message ACLs, it has no effect with "warn".       |