Re: [Exim] spam assassin router - check if spamd is running?

Author: Clive Goodhead
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] spam assassin router - check if spamd is running?
> List,
>
> I have set up my spam assassin router and transports, they are

working
> great, but I am a bit worried if spamd goes down, then Exim starts

> queue messages as the spam router cannot connect to spamd. How

have you
> guys delt with this situation?

We took the view that mail delivery was more important than ensuring
that mail was always scanned. Therefore, we wrote a local_scan()
function
(that we have called "Exifilter"). This function uses clamd (the
daemon
from the Open Source Clam Anti-virus package) to reject mail with
viruses
and spamd (the SpamAssassin daemon) to add a header containing a
spam
score. This deals with the timeout issue by just accepting mail if
for
some reason it cannot be scanned by one or other of the daemons. You
are welcome to take a look at it but IT IS ALPHA SOFTWARE and still
very much under development:

http://www.cornwallinternet.com/software/

Clive Goodhead

PS I know that clamd is not really ready for production use but it
seems
reasonably stable for us.