[Exim] Changeover from sendmail (exim newbie)

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Luke Pascoe
To: exim-users
Betreff: [Exim] Changeover from sendmail (exim newbie)
Tonight I will be replacing our aged mail server running Sendmail with a new
machine running exim[1] on a stock standard Debian Woody install.

The sendmail setup is currently very symplistic (I'm a simple man) involving
3 files:
- "/etc/mail/local-host-names" This contains a list of 29 host names the
machine recieves mail for.
- "/etc/mail/aliases" You all know what this does.
- "/etc/mail/virtusertable" This contains a list of pairs[2]; email
address[3]
and username. Obviously if the email matches one in the list it is sent to
the corresponding user.

To be honest I have very little idea how to convert this for exim, although
I think it is probably straight forward, and I've been drowning in the exim
docs all morning.

So far I've managed to figure out that this should make it accept mail from
the various domains:
exim.conf: local_domains = /etc/mail/local-host-names

And I'm fairly sure that an appropriately configured Director will handle
the virtusertable part but damned if I know how to configure it. I think it
should be something along the lines of:

virtualusertable:
driver = smartuser
transport = local_delivery
new_address = *some lookup here that get's the appropriate username from
the file*
qualify_preserve_domain = true

But what the lookup should be eludes me :-( I don't mind changing the format
of the files if that'll help.

Also, I need the system_aliases director to be executed AFTER the
appropriate username has been expanded from the virtusertable. Is this just
a case of moving it below the virtusertable director?

yours confusedly

Luke Pascoe

Senior Developer / Systems administrator
KMG (NZ) Limited. http://www.kmg.co.nz
Mobile: (021) 303019
Email: luke.p@???

[1] Also, a newer 2.4.19 kernel to replace the current 2.2.20.

[2] Seperated by whitespace.

[3] Which includes wildcards, these have no local part. ie: "@mydomain.com
user" sends all mail to a mydomain.com address (not caught by an explicit
email address) to the user "username".