Re: [Exim] Authenticated SMTP and Eudora

Author: Ronald L Fox
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Authenticated SMTP and Eudora
More information on the Eudora side of this equation, taken from the Eudora
5.1 help file:

------------ begin quote -----------
Using SMTP Authentication

SMTP authentication operates automatically in Eudora.
Eudora can log in to an SMTP server when sending mail, just like it does
for receiving mail. Not all SMTP servers require or allow such
authentication. Eudora will attempt authentication to servers that allow
it. The preferred SMTP authentication method is CRAM-MD5. If CRAM-MD5 is
not available, LOGIN or PLAIN will automatically be used. Once Eudora
discovers that your SMTP server allows authentication and when you send
messages, a dialog box appears that prompts you to enter a password.

If for some reason you prefer that Eudora not attempt to login to your SMTP
server, you can tell it not to do so by doing the following:

1.      From the Tools menu, choose Options, then Sending Mail. The Sending
Mail options window appears.
2.      Turn off the Allow Authentication.
3.      Click OK.

If you turn off the Allow Authentication option, you may not be able to
send mail. Please check with your email administrator or ISP if you have
any difficulties.